A snapshot is a collection of build versions (project versions) for the release's projects which are sent sent through the pipeline. As a release progresses, newer versions of projects are assembled to create new snapshots. A release may consist of dozens, or even hundreds or thousands, of snapshots over its lifetime, depending on its size and duration. There are several ways in which snapshots can be created.
- By a release manager by explicitly identifying the versions of the projects/packages in the release. See Creating a Snapshot.
- By associating a project/package build to the release. As such, once the build completes, the new project version is overlaid on top of the most recent release snapshot to produce a new snapshot.
- By promoting an existing build to a release. In this case, a new shaptshot is created with the selected project version overlaid. (as of FlexDeploy 4.5.2)
- Using a Continuous Integration trigger (Poll SCM Trigger or Scheduled Build Trigger) to automatically associate the new build with the release.
- Using the REST API to submit a build request, and associate it to the release.
All snapshots which reach Completed status are sent to the pipeline for execution, and marked Initiated. Only one snapshot per release can be created (Pending) at a time. However, many snapshots can be executing the pipeline for the same release in parallel.
To view the list of snapshots for the release, edit the release, and click the
|The system-generated snapshot name.|
The description which was given when the snapshot was created.
The current status of the snapshot:
- Completed - The snapshot was successfully assembled, but has not yet been sent to pipeline for execution.
- Failed - The snapshot failed to be assembled (which could mean the underlying build failed).
- Failed to Initiate - The snapshot was assembled, but failed to be sent to the pipeline for execution.
- Initiated - The snapshot has been sent to the pipeline for execution.
- Pending - The snapshot is in the process of being assembled and set to the pipeline for execution.
Initiated is the final status of an snapshot, and its execution in the pipeline is tracked through execution in the dashboard.
Only one snapshot for a release is allowed to be Pending at a time. If there is already a pending snapshot, you will see the following warning, and you must wait for it to complete or fail before created another snapshot.
|Created On||The date & time on which the snapshot was created.|
|Created By||The user who created the snapshot. The id will be a system id if the snapshot was created due to a project build associated to the release.|
The remaining columns represent the execution detail of the snapshot in the pipeline. For each stage of the pipeline, an icon represents its execution status. If no icon is displayed, the execution has not yet reached that stage.
Aborted - The snapshot execution in the pipeline stage was aborted by a user.
Failed - The snapshot execution in the pipeline stage failed.
Gates Complete - The snapshot has completed the gates, but is not running steps yet (e.g. another snapshot is running steps in that stage).
Out of Date - The snapshot execution has been superseded by a newer snapshot.
Rejected - The snapshot execution has been rejected (via an approval gate) by a user.
Running Gates - The snapshot execution is currently running gates in the pipeline stage.
Running Steps - The snapshot execution is currently running steps in the pipeline stage.
Successful - The snapshot execution in the pipeline stage has successfully completed.
To view the details of the projects in the snapshot, click on the link in the Snapshot Name column.
|The name of the project within the snapshot.|
|Project Version||The version of the project build within the snapshot.|
|Package Name||The package name for the project build within the snapshot. Only applies to partial deployment projects.|
|Request All Files||Whether or not the package contains all the files for the project. Only applies to partial deployment projects.|
The status of the individual project version within the snapshot. Status are:
- Pending - the project is has not yet been built for the snapshot.
- Submitted - the project is currently being built for the snapshot.
- Completed - the project has been built successfully for the snapshot.
- Failed - the project has failed to build.
- Existing - the snapshot is utilizing an already built version of the project.
Once the all project versions in the snapshot are Completed or Existing, the snapshot will be Completed, and then sent for pipeline execution (Initiated).
|Error Message||The error message of the failed build, if the status is Failed.|
|The date and time in which the snapshot was created.|
The user who created the snapshot.
The user will be a system user if the snapshot was created via a project build associated to the release, as multiple user may have contributed to it.